Thursday, February 25, 2010

Major James Rowe Cox, United States Army (Ret.)














James Rowe Cox was born February 16, 1938, in Marshall and passed, away, at the age of 72, at his home, on February 20, 2010.

Major Cox graduated from Marshall High School in 1956, attended Texas A&M University and completed his college career at Sul Ross State University.

Major Cox served his country in the United States Army and retired after 20 years of heroic, honorable service.  He served two tours of duty in Vietnam, as a helicopter pilot, and received numerous military decorations.  They include the Distinguished Flying Cross, the Bronze Star medal, 17 Air Medals, with V for Valor, and the Army Commendation Medal.

In his retirement years, he worked in the mortgage banking industry.

He was a lifelong member of the DAV, American Legion, VFW, 12th Man Foundation, Vietnam Helicopter Pilots Association, Mortgage Bankers Association and Fort Hood Area Board of Realtors.

Major Cox was a devoted and loving father and granddaddy and he loved to fish at his fishing shack by the pond.

Funeral services were held on February 25 at the Sheppard Funeral Home in Copperas Cove. 

Major Cox’s flag draped casket was delivered, by hearse, to the Central Texas State Veterans Cemetery at Killeen, where it was transferred to a horse-drawn carriage.

The carriage, followed by a United States Army honor guard and scores of family and friends, delivered the casket the last two hundred yards to the committal shelter.

Patriot Guard Riders had gathered at the shelter and placed 50 American Flags along both sides of the road.  They, then, stood at attention and saluted as the carriage arrived and the casket was moved from the carriage to the shelter by the honor guard.

The Riders then formed a flag line around the shelter as final services were conducted and full military honors were rendered.

A rifle detail fired three volleys of fire, representing Honor, Duty and Country, a Army bugler sounded Taps, and the flag covering the casket was folded into a tight triangle by the honor guard.   It was presented to the surviving spouse, by an Officer of the United States Army, on behalf of the Army and a grateful nation.

Major Cox was then laid to rest, under a bright blue sky, on the wind-swept grassy plain of the cemetery as the American flag flew at half-staff,  in his honor, on the hill above.

Left to cherish his memory are his wife, Jane, one daughter, two sons, six grandchildren and two great-grandchildren.


The Lord is my shepherd,  I shall not want.

He maketh me to lie down in green pastures;
He leadeth me beside the still waters.

He restoreth my soul.  He leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name’s sake.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil:  for thou art
With me;  thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.

Thou prepares a table before me in the presence of mine enemies:  thou anointest my head with oil:  my cup runneth over.


Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all
The days of my life:  and I will dwell in the house of
The Lord for ever.



With thanks to the Killeen Daily Herald for biographical information.

1 comment:

  1. Wow. I cant believe its been over 3 years since I first read this. Thank you for keeping up this web page.

    Russ Cox

    ReplyDelete