Friday, February 5, 2010

Alton Young, "grizzlebear", Patriot Guard Rider

Alton Young, known as grizzlebear to his fellow Patriot Guard Riders, was born May 12, 1950 in San Antonio, Texas.  He passed away January 31, 2010, at his home in Leander, Texas, after a lengthy illness.

Alton worked in law enforcement, construction, and most recently for the Texas Department of Transportation, Aviation Division for over ten years.  He loved the outdoors, hunting and fishing.  He especially enjoyed his annual trips to Terlingua with the guys.

Although not a veteran of the United States Armed Forces, Alton was a proud, dedicated member of the Patriot Guard Riders, Centex and Austin regions.  He was known as a gentle soul despite his “grizzlebear” moniker.

Funeral services were held on February 4 at Beck Funeral Home in Cedar Park, Texas.  Patriot Guard Riders formed a line of American flags at the entrance to welcome arriving family and friends.  A steady rain fell as scores of mourners arrived to say fair well to this fine man.

After the service, the Riders rode in the procession to the Fitzhugh Cemetery in Hays County.  Although the weather was cold and rainy, Alton “soared in the clouds all the way there”.

Alton was laid to rest amidst the oaks, deep in the heart of  Texas.

Left to cherish his memory are his wife, Vicky, his father, two sons, a daughter, six grandchildren, many other family and friends, and his fellow Patriot Guard Riders.






The Twenty-Third Psalm

The Lord is my shepherd,  I shall not want.

He maketh me to lie down in green pastures;
He leadeth me beside the still waters.

He restoreth my soul.  He leadeth me in the paths of righteousness 
for his name’s sake.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil: 
    for thou art With me;  thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.

Thou prepares a table before me in the presence of mine enemies:  
thou anointest my head with oil: my cup runneth over.

Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all
The days of my life:  and I will dwell in the house of
The Lord for ever.







Photo of grizzlebear with American flag was taken on July 4, 2009 when he stood in a flag line supporting the right of a Navy veteran to fly the American flag at his apartment in Austin, Texas.


With thanks to Beck Funeral Home for biographical information.

No comments:

Post a Comment