Friday, March 2, 2012

Capt. Roger D. Zehr, United States Army, Ret.


Roger Zehr was born February 3, 1929 at Alva, Oklahoma and passed away January 2, 2012 in Temple, Texas at the age of 82.

On January 1, 1950 he married the love of his life, Alice, who passed away on March 22, 2008

Roger proudly served his country in the United States Army and retired in 1968. His service included duty with the 114th Aviation Company (The White Knights) in Vietnam as a helicopter pilot. His numerous military awards and decorations include 31 awards of the Air Medal, and the Purple Heart Medal. He was a lifetime member of the Purple Heart Association. Roger was also a member of VFW Post 8577 in Copperas Cove, Texas, American Legion Post 0345 and the 114th White Knight Association.

Roger was a member of Grace United Methodist Church in Copperas Cove and the United Methodist Men.

A funeral service was held on January 9 at the Grace United Methodist Church. In attendance were the Patriot Guard Riders who formed a line of American flags at the entrance to welcome the arriving family and friends.

After the service, the Riders led the funeral procession to the Central Texas State Veterans Cemetery at Killeen, Texas.

There, the flag draped casket was moved from the hearse to the committal shelter. The Riders formed a line of American flags around the shelter as final prayers and military honors were rendered.

The Rev. John Nader read Revelation 21:1-7. The Rev. Stephen Schmidt said the final prayer and led the gathering in the Lord's Prayer.

The United States Army Detail of five rifles fired three volleys of fire, representing Duty, Honor and Country. The Army bugler played taps.

The Honor Guard folded the flag that covered the casket into a tight triangle and passed it to Army Lt. Garcia. She presented the flag to Roger's son, Michael, on behalf of a grateful nation and the United States Army as a token of appreciation for Roger's honorable and faithful service.

Capt. Roger Zehr was then laid to rest on the sloping plain of the cemetery, as a cold, light rain fell. The American flag at the top of the hill was at half-staff in his honor.

Left to cherish his memory are his two sons and their wives, a daughter, two brothers, twelve grandchildren and numerous great-grandchildren.

With thanks to Crawford-Bowers Funeral Home for biographical information and photo.



The following was written by Roger on the eve of his birthday in 2010.

Here I sit on the eve of my birthday reminiscing. When you are young it is, "When is Christmas getting here?" When you are older it is, "Oh my gosh, Christmas is here already!" That holds true for birthdays, too.

God gave me a good life. There were ups and downs but it was my fault, not God's. When I strayed, life went down. But when I came back and asked for forgiveness He forgave me (like He always does) and life was better. God is good.

He gave me fifty eight years with a wonderful woman named Alice. She was my wife, friend and soul-mate. She was wife, mother, grandmother and great grandmother and her life revolved around her family.

It has been almost two years since she was taken to live with Him. I know she is happy in heaven, but we sure miss her here on earth. I have a wonderful family that shows sincere love for me and each other. I have an amazing church family that helps me with my spiritual life.

God has granted me with eighty two years of life on this earth and with his grace I will have many more.

I love you all. Goodnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment