Sunday, July 10, 2011

Sergeant Major Terence W. Smith, United States Army


Terence Smith was born August 22, 1960 at Milwaukee, Wisconsin and passed away June 29, 2011 at Houston, Texas at the age of 50

Terence proudly served his country for over 27 years in the United States Army and was on active duty at the time of his death.

His military specialty was Logistics, specifically Food Operations. Terence was a veteran of Operations Desert Storm and Iraqi Freedom. During his tour in Baghdad, Iraq he was responsible for monitoring the services contract with KBR. His many military awards and decorations include the Bronze Star Medal and the Legion of Merit Medal.

Terence was a Free Mason and a member of the Order of the Eastern Star and of the Food Service Executive Association.

An inurnment service was held on July 8 at the Central Texas State Veterans Cemetery at Killeen, Texas. In attendance were the Patriot Guard Riders who formed a line of flags around the committal shelter.

Major Jacobs of the United States Army Chaplain Corps led the gathered family and friends in final prayers.

Full military honors were rendered by the United States Army Honor Guard. The detail of seven rifles, standing in the dappled shade of the live oak trees, fired three rounds of fire, representing Duty, Honor and Country. The Army bugler played taps, as all in attendance stood at attention and saluted.

The American flag that had laid next to the urn was carefully unfolded by a detail of six soldiers, and then refolded into a tight triangle. The flag was ceremoniously passed to Army Lt. Colonel Murray who presented it to Terence's dear wife Kelly, on behalf of the President of the United States, the United States Army and a grateful nation as thanks for his many years of faithful service. Folded flags were also presented to his mother, sister and children.

The urn containing the cremains Sergeant Major Terence W. Smith was then carefully placed into a nice of the columbarium wall, as his family gathered round, and sealed for all of time.

Left to cherish Terence's memory are his wife, one son, one daughter, a sister, his mother and many other dear family, friends and fellow soldiers.

The family has suggested that memorials may be made to Leukemia and Lymphoma Society Donor Services, PO Box 4072, Pittsfield, MA 01202

The Twenty Third Psalm

The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want.
He maketh me to lie down in green pastures:
He leadeth me beside the still waters.
He restoreth my soul: He leadeth me in the
paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
Yea, though I walk through the valley of
the shadow of death, I will fear no evil"
for thou are with me; Thy rod and
thy staff they comfort me.
Thou preparest a table before me in the presence
of mine enemies: thou anointest my head
with oil; my cup runneth over.
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me
all the days of my life: and I will
dwell in the house of the Lord forever.



With thanks to the Killeen Daily Herald for biographical information.




3 comments:

  1. SGM Smith was a great man I spent two tours in Iraq working directly with him In 4th ID
    SFC Miller

    SFC Miller

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi sir, How are you, i'm an iraqi citizin and i was work with USA goverment at 2006 in Camp Dublin,And l have got 3 certificates from USA government. I hope you to help me(ahmedabd85.aa@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Im in these photos and I didnt even know they existed. Thank you. Love you SGM

    ReplyDelete