Monday, April 11, 2011

Ricky Simmons, United States Army Veteran


Ricky Simmons was born April 14, 1961 in Norfolk, Virginia and passed away on March 28, 2011, at the age of 49, in Temple, Texas.

Ricky was a graduate of Chesapeake High School and served his country honorably in the United States Army.

He was a member of the Corinth Baptist Church in Temple, and worked for Sabe Electric Company, and as a cook for the Roadhouse Restaurant.

Interment services, with military honors, were held on April 1, 2011 at the Central Texas State Veterans Cemetery at Killeen, Texas. In attendance were the Patriot Guard Riders of Central Texas who formed a line of American flags around the committal shelter during the service.

Minister Wanda Nichols led the gathering in The Lord’s Prayer and read the “ashes to ashes” rite.

The United States Army Honor Guard rendered the military honors. The Army bugler played taps and the Honor Guard folded the flag that covered the silver casket into the traditional triangle. It was then presented to Vira, Ricky’s dear wife of 27 years, on behalf of the President of the United States, the United States Army and a grateful nation as thanks for his faithful service.

Ricky Simmons was then laid to rest on the plain of the cemetery as the American flag flew at half-staff in his honor on the hill above.

Left to cherish his memory are his wife, one step-son, two step-daughters, four brothers, three sisters and many other dear family and friends.

When Tomorrow Starts Without Me

When tomorrow starts without me, and I’m not there to see;
If the sun should rise and find your eyes,
All filled with tears for me;
I wish so much you wouldn’t cry,
The way you did today,
While thinking of the many things,
We didn’t get to say.
I know how much you loved me,
As much as I loved you,
And each time that you think of me,
I know you’ll miss me too;
But when tomorrow starts without me,
Please try to understand,
That an Angel came and called my name,
And took me by the hand,
And said my place was ready,
In heaven far above,
And that I’d have to leave behind,
All those I dearly love.
And when the earth claims my limbs,
Then I will truly dance.

(anonymous)

With thanks to Temple Daily Times News for biographical information.

No comments:

Post a Comment